Saturday, August 14, 2010

Roman Holiday

So I'm leaving Rome to head to Naples today.  Yesterday was wonderful though.  After a nice lie-in I made my way to Villa Borghese (the Roman equivalent of Central Park or Golden Gate Park).  It was so beautiful and quiet.  I went to the Museo e Galleria Borghese, a feast of artwork throughout the ages.  The depiction of Paulina Borghese as Venus was incredible.  It's this giant slab of marble, but the cushions she sits on and the fabric strewn across her lap look so real that you almost believe it would feel plush if you touched it.  As I came out of the museum, I got caught in a summer shower.  The rain felt so good... so refreshing.  After some gelato, I lay on the grass for a quick nap.

I spent the rest of the day wandering around Rome's Centro Sotrico.  It was great to just get lost and marvel at the piazzas, statues, and fountains I came across as I went.  I made my extravagant Italian purchase for my trip... a bottle of honeysuckle perfume from this really cool perfumery and apothecary shop.  It smells absolutely divine and I feel like a proper grown-up lady now, with my signature scent.

I am awed by the ancient history that is seen everywhere in Rome.  The buildings and cathedrals, the statues and fountains... it is such a treat to be somewhere that is considered the birthplace of modern civilization.  You cannot find history like this in America or in Africa.  As I wandered the streets of Rome, I came across a little exhibit perched along a fence by the side of the road.  I met the quirky little street artist that was the mastermind of this odd array of items.  One of the displays had a sign that read "Rome is an open-air museum."  I couldn't agree more.

No comments:

Post a Comment